Dr Ramachandra N Moorthy Foundation for Mental Health & Neurological Sciences
National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore,
Fourth Leadership and Professional Skills Workshop for Early Career Psychiatrists
The Leadership and Professional Skills workshop for Early Career Mental Health Professionals at the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore is an educational activity for early career psychiatrists and other mental health professionals held under the auspices of the Dr Ramachandra N Moorthy Foundation for Mental Health and Neurological Sciences at NIMHANS – created through a generous donation by Dr Ramachandra N Moorthy, an Indian born Canadian psychiatrist from Vancouver, Canada. One of the major goals of the Foundation is to promote training and academic activities in the field of mental health in India.
The Inaugural Leadership and Professional skills workshop held in December 2012. It was an extremely successful and well appreciated event. Most of the participants gave the feedback that this programme should be a regular event so that many of the other early career professionals from the country can benefit. The Second Early Career Mental Health Professionals Workshop was held during January 2014. The Third Leadership and Professional Skills workshop for early career psychiatrists was held during January 2015, and it invited participants from the SAARC countries (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka). The Fourth Leadership and Professional Skills workshop for early career psychiatrists will be held from January 14th to 16th 2016, at NIMHANS, Bangalore will again invite participants from SAARC Countries. This Workshop is organized in collaboration with the Association for the Improvement of Mental Health Programs, Geneva, of which Professor Norman Sartorius, is the President.
Aims of the Workshop:
The Leadership and Professional Skills workshop will bring together a small group (20) of promising early career psychiatrists from SAARC countries, selected through an open, international selection process. The Workshop will aim to inspire and encourage the young Psychiatrists from the SAARC Counties to excel in their respective areas of work and take up leadership roles in finding solutions to their country’s mental health problems in a variety of ways and in various settings such as the government, NGO, private sector, academic, research, training etc. in their respective countries. The workshop will aim to enable participants to use skills of presentation communication in clinical work and in relation to mass media, as well as skills of organisation and leadership, and to and through individualised and group skill building exercises.
Date & Venue: The Workshop will be held at NIMHANS Convention Centre, Bangalore, India on the dates during 14th – 16th of January 2016.
Faculty of the Workshop:
1. Professor Norman Sartorius, MD; PhD, FRCPsych, President, Association for the Improvement of Mental Health Programmes, Honorary, Adjunct or Visiting Professor at the Universities in St. Louis, New York, Zagreb, London, Prague and Beijing, former Director of the Department of Mental Health, World Health Organization (WHO) and past President of the World Psychiatric Association (WPA)
2. Professor Mohan K Isaac, MD (Psy), DPM, FRCPsych, FRANZCP, Professor of Psychiatry (Population Mental Health), School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, The University of Western Australia, Perth &Visiting Professor of Psychiatry, NIMHANS Bangalore.
Who can nominate?
Heads of Departments of Psychiatry as well as senior mental health professionals are invited to nominate suitable candidates for the Workshop.
1. The applicants should be a promising early career psychiatrist.
2. The applicants should be close (within one year) to the completion of their postgraduate training of psychiatry or should have completed their training in psychiatry not more than 5 years back The application should include
• a brief resume (curriculum vitae) of the applicant,
• a letter from the nominating person giving reasons for proposing the nominee &
• a letter from the nominee describing how they hope to use the knowledge and skills that they will gain.
• A page of the passport indicating the age of the candidate
Nominating Persons can be Heads of Departments of Psychiatry/ Heads of the Professional bodies and psychiatric societies/ senior mental health professionals
Contact details: Nominations should be sent by email, to be communicated soon.
Important Dates: Workshop from 14th – 16th January 2016 The participants will be expected to arrive on the 13th of January in Bangalore and they will be expected to attend the workshop until the end of the afternoon on the 16th of January.
Last date for Applications: 10th December 2015
You will hear from us about the selection on or before 16th December 2015
Those Selected will be provided with eligible travel costs (the cheapest and shortest route airfare) to attend the Workshop and local hospitality at NIMHANS, Bangalore.
The participants are expected to attend the complete workshop all the three days. They will be expected to actively participate in the workshop and will have to bring along a poster on a subject of their choice. They will also be expected to prepare and make a short oral presentation on a topic of their choice during the Workshop
1. Dr Santosh K Chaturvedi, MD, FRCPsych
Professor of Psychiatry & Member Secretary Dr Ramachandra N Moorthy Foundation for Mental Health and Neurological Sciences, NIMHANS
2. Dr Pratima Murthy, DPM, MD
Professor of Psychiatry, NIMHANS
3. Dr Arun Kandasamy, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, NIMHANS